Every day is a chance to learn

One of the reasons I love teaching is because it is never boring. That's probably also why I usually love life. As long I live, I learn.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Tomorrow I may find the other half....

"I might find the other half some day." 
                                             Carl Taylor (personal interview)

    My grandfather was famous for going on walks and bringing home treasures.  He could also purchase an old bike or lawn mower for a few dollars at a garage sale and fix it up like new, or better than new!  One day, he went out for a walk and came home with half of a clothes pin.  When my grandmother asked him why he saved the clothes pin, he told her that he might someday find the other half.  This statement says a lot about my grandfather.  It reminds me of how he was always looking for ways to use both his hands and his ability to make and fix things and objects themselves.  Most people would throw away a broken clothes pin or a used bike.  But where other people saw brokenness, my grandfather saw possibility.  We hear a lot about carbon footprints these days and sustainability.  Before minimizing your carbon footprint was even in our vocabulary, my grandfather was doing it.  His life and habits remind me not to be idle, to look for opportunity in the ordinary, and to believe in the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment